Thursday, December 18, 2008

Post #6

I came across the site www.finebyme.com today and I was excited to learn about the organization. I had seen a few of their t-shirts around campus during my Freshman year here at WSU and had joined their facebook group, but didn’t really know much about them.

I enjoy the fact that they’re so upbeat about the whole thing and encourage those who visit the site to get involved locally with their community’s youth. I love the idea that you can do fundraisers by selling the shirts. It would be awesome if a school had a club or group for homosexuals and/or bisexuals that could raise money by selling these shirts.

I think what interests me most about this site is the fact that they have chosen to convey their messages on shirts. Not on bumper stickers, not on buttons, or posters for your room. Something as every-day as a t-shirt conveys the message that it’s something to be comfortable with.

This site makes me want to start my own T-shirt project back home. Maybe once I graduate and get settled I’ll be able to organize something like this. If I could make an impact on my community like the people on this site talk about I’d really feel a sense of accomplishment. Plus, spreading acceptance is something I’ve always advocated.

I wish they had something like this for us to be involved in when I was in high school. I think that the fact that there aren’t many opportunities for students to get involved in the GLBTA cause when they’re young like that is a real detriment to the community. If students in high schools knew more about opportunities like the Fine By Me campaign, and others much like it, I truly believe there would be more education and involvement of young people today.

No comments: