Thursday, December 18, 2008

Post #9

A new high school is being proposed in Chicago that will be for gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgendered students. Not all gay public figures are up to voting “for” for the new school, however. One article I have read regarding the school is here: http://www.365gay.com/news/gay-community-divided-on-lgbt-high-school/.

I can see the value of both sides of the argument. It made me think about how I would feel if my community were voting on whether or not to open a school like this. On one hand, I would want to have a place in my community where the GLBT students felt safe and valued. But I wish they could feel that way in a regular public school as well. Maybe a separate school isn’t the answer? I mean, I wish there were a way to implement the acceptance of those with alternative lifestyles IN the schools that already exist. I wish we could turn the bullying and abuse around.

But who am I to shoot down an idea that could just be another option for some GLBT students? Shouldn’t they have a right to choose whether or not they go to an all-gay school or not? But then, you know there are going to be those who will want to build heterosexual only schools. But wouldn’t that be considered discrimination?

All in all, I’d probably vote ‘yes’ to such a proposal. Who am I to deny the kids the right to a safe environment? My biggest concern then would be if having all of those students in one place would make the school a target for a violent attack against them by some ignorant people out there somewhere. That, unfortunately, is a real concern. I certainly wouldn’t want to have the kids put in danger.

No comments: