Thursday, December 18, 2008

Post #7

I appreciate the fact that this student made an attempt to show the different outlooks regarding homosexuality in her high school, but some of it seems very set up. She would be more credible if she had more interviews with more peers. But I did see a reoccurring theme of acceptance. Well, at least tolerance.

The thing that caught my attention with this video is that many of the students justified their tolerance with the “fact” that God forgives all sins. What gets my goat with this is that, by saying this, they are still implying that they consider being homosexual a sin: something that need to be forgiven by God. So, instead of really accepting homosexuals, they tolerate them thinking that they will one day repent for their “sin” and God will forgive them.

I would have liked to have heard from someone who sees NO fault in being homosexual. The video would have been improved by having more perspectives. It would have more merit even with someone who was completely against homosexuality for their own reasons. But does this video not show progress? Is tolerance not the first step toward acceptance?

Another pet peeve that I have with this video is the fact that a few of the students say things like, “I don’t really care. I think people should be able to do what they want. But I’m not into that.” Once again, they’re showing tolerance, but not acceptance. By distancing themselves from homosexuality itself, they’re still “normal” but they are being portrayed as “open minded” and “accepting” because they say homosexuality is fine for other people.

No comments: